The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) is aimed at protecting your personal information and prescribes what we must and must not do with it. POPI creates an Information Regulator who checks that companies like PAWS manage personal information in a responsible manner that respects your privacy.
Other legislation applies to your personal information. There may be pieces of legislation which oblige us to use your personal information.
- We, us and our refers to the Plett Animal Welfare Service, NPO 020-732
- You and yours refers to the person who engages with us.
- Your personal information refers to personal information about you and your dependents. It includes information about gender, age, financial status and banking details, contact details and addresses. Process information means the automated or manual activity of collecting, recording, organising, storing, updating, distributing and removing or deleting personal information.
- Competent person means anyone who is legally competent to consent to any action or decision being taken for any matter concerning a child, for example a parent or legal guardian.
1.2 When you engage with us, you trust us with personal information about yourself and your dependents. We are committed to protecting your right to privacy. The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to set out how we collect, use, share and otherwise process your personal information, in line with the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
1.3 You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information. It is voluntary to accept these terms and conditions.
1.4 We will keep your personal information confidential. You may have given us this information yourself or we may have collected it from other sources. If you share your personal information with any third parties, we will not be responsible for any loss suffered by you or your dependants.
1.5 You understand that when you include your spouse and/or your dependants on your forms, we will process their information for the purpose of engaging further with you.
1.6 We do not collect the information of persons under 18 without the consent of their parents or guardians. If you are under the age of 18 you must not provide personal information to us without the consent of your parent or guardian. In the event that you are providing consent on behalf of a minor (person younger than 18 years old) you confirm that you are a competent person and authorised to provide such consent on their behalf.
1.8 You agree that we may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with our services;
- if it relates to our business activity;
- to market our services to you;
- to respond to your queries and complaints;
- to comply with legislative, regulatory and compliance requirements;
- to fulfil reporting requirements;
- to enable us to deliver notices to you;
- for identity verification, and to check the accuracy of your personal information;
- to communicate with you and carry out your requests; and / or
- for any other related purposes.
You hereby consent to the collection, collation, processing, storage and disclosure of the information, including your Personal Information, for the purposes described above.
1.9 If a third party asks us for any of your personal information, we will share it with them only if you have already given your consent for the disclosure of this information to that third party.
1.10 We have a duty to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure your personal information is complete, accurate, not misleading and updated on a regular basis. To enable this we will always try to obtain personal information from you directly.
1.11 Please let us know if you do not wish to receive any direct marketing from us.
1.12 You have the right to know what personal information we hold about you. If you wish to receive a copy, please complete a form called an ‘Contact Us Form’ on www. plettpaws.co.za/contact-us and specify the information you would like. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information. We are entitled to charge a fee for this service and will let you know the cost at the time of your request.
1.13 You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. Where we cannot delete your personal information, we will take all steps to make it anonymous. You agree that we may keep your personal information until you ask us to delete or destroy it. This is unless the law requires us to keep it.
1.14 We are required to collect and keep personal information in terms of the following laws:
- Promotion of Access to Information Act of 2000;
- Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013;
- Labour Relations Act 66 of 1995;
- The Basic Conditions of Employment Act 55 of 1998;
- The Unemployment Insurance Act, 2001;
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 (OHSA);
- The Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act 130 of 1993 (COIDA);
- Animal Protection Act 71 of 1962, Performing Animals Protection Act 24 of 1935, National Animal Pounds Bill
1.15 You agree that we may transfer your personal information outside South Africa to administer certain services, for example, cloud services. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that any country, company of person that we pass your personal information to agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
1.16 We take your privacy and the security of your personal information seriously. We have implemented reasonable security safeguards to protect the personal information that you provide. We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. As no system is perfect we cannot guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical or managerial safeguards. We will inform you if your privacy is ever compromised.
1.17 Please note that any email you send to us is not encrypted and may be monitored by us. Please do not send us sensitive or confidential personal information by means of email. Instead contact our office.
1.18 You may opt out of Electronic Marketing on www.plettpaws.co.za. We will store your personal information for the purpose to action this request and action it as soon as reasonably possible.
1.19 We may unilaterally change this Privacy Statement at any time. The most updated version will always be available on www.plettpaws.co.za.co.za.
1.20 If you believe that we have used your personal information contrary to this Privacy Statement, you must first attempt to resolve any concerns with us. If you are not satisfied after this process, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator, under POPIA.
The contact details are:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
316 Thabo Sehume Street,
Tel: 012 406 4818 – Fax: 086 500 3351